Library Collections Overview
- This is the core collection in the library and contains many academic/scholarly books. These books are shelved on the 3rd and 4th floors.
- 3rd floor contains books with call numbers starting with L through Z
- 4th floor contains books with call numbers starting with A through K
Reference Collection (1st floor)
- Located in the sunken area behind the Research center Desk, this collection contains dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, etc. which are for In-Library use only.
Popular Reading Collection (3rd floor)
- Located on the 3rd floor on the wall before the Cafe/vending machines area, this collection is designed for recreational reading and is unique in our library by being shelved by author and title rather than call number.
Children's Literature (3rd floor)
- Located on the 3rd floor ahead and slightly to the left of the stairs and elevator, this collection ranges from picture books through YA literature.
- The collection is divided into multiple parts:
- Non-fiction with Dewey Decimal call numbers
- Fiction arranged by reading level
ESL Collection (3rd floor)
- Located on the 3rd floor between the stairs/elevator and the Cafe area, this collection is arranged by reading level to develop reading skills for students where English is a second language.
University Archives, Special Collections and Rare Book Collection (1st floor)
- Accessed from the Circulation Desk, these collections are In-Library use only by special arrangement.
- The University Archives contains primary and secondary source material related to the history of Saginaw Valley State University.
- The Special Collections are semi-unique materials that are mostly related to the state of Michigan and the Tri-county area.
- The Rare Book Collection contains Honors theses and capstone projects.
Music and Spoken Word CDs
- CDs are located on the library's 3rd floor and are shelved by Library of Congress call numbers.
Videos (3rd floor)
- Video recordings are divided into the following categories: Feature Films, Non Fiction Films, Silent Films and Foreign Films. The library also has many online videos available to stream through our video databases and catalog.
Sheet Music Collection (3rd floor)
- Located on the south wall next to the Cafe, this collection consists of performance editions of music.
Periodicals Collections (3rd floor)
- Current print subscriptions of journals, magazines and newspapers are located in clear boxes on the third floor to the left of the stairs and elevator. Older issues are bound together and located on book shelves in the same area.