Records Management is a service provided by the Library to facilitate University offices compliance with public records retention requirements. The process consists of three basic steps:
- A SVSU office makes the request for the Library to collect materials for storage. The Library creates a list of contents and packages the materials in archival quality boxes and stores them either in the Library or at a remote storage location. A copy of the index and box designations will be provided to the issuing office.
- Once stored, the Library serves as the intermediary for retrieving boxes from storage for use by the issuing office. Please note that only the issuing office may authorize material retrieval: all other requests must be routed through the issuing office. All Library interactions with Records Management materials is exclusively with the issuing office
- At the end of the required retention period the issuing office, in collaboration with an agent of the Library Archives, will decide which materials are to be preserved, either by adding to the University Archives or by extended storage, or properly destroyed in accordance with University policy.
- Request to add materials to Library Records Management service
- Request to retrieve materials from Library-administered Records Management materials
- Request to complete Records Management service for selected materials
- At this point the issuing office may permit appropriate materials to be added to the University Archives in collaboration with an agent from the Library Archives