Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To make requesting materials even easier,
stop at the first-floor circulation desk and add the barcode on the back of your SVSU identification card to your account.
About MeLCat Libraries
The list of participating MeLCat libraries has two important pieces of information:
- Since SVSU is part of the Visiting Patron program, if you visit another participating library (e.g., CMU or MSU) you may check out their materials directly at their circulation desk.
- The list also indicates whether the library loans media through MeLCat as we do.
- If you visit libraries that are participate in both Visiting Patron and media loans you can check out media at their circulation desk.
Quick Facts & Links
- Use My Library to keep track of MeLCat requests
- 70 MeLCat transactions may be active at one time (including returns, in transit, checked out, etc.)
- Books have at least a 4 week loan period from check out
- These items have one 4 week renewal
- CDs and videos have only one 14 day loan from check out
- No renewals are permitted for these items.
- Overdue fines are $0.50 per day for faculty, staff and students
- Lending libraries determine replacement fees for lost, damaged, or significantly overdue materials
- My Library
- Track progress of MeLCat request
- Submit renewals before due date
- About MeL
- More information about MeLCat and its funding
- Participating MeLCat Libraries
- Includes whether they permit borrowing directly at their library (Visiting Patrons)
- Includes whether they loan CDs and videos to us (AV Borrower)
- MeLCat FAQ
Ordering books, etc.
- Look for items directly on MeLCat or click on the MeLCat button during a CardCat search
- When you find what you want and item is available click on the "Get this for me" link
- Under the prompt "Which library card/account do you want to use?" select "Saginaw Valley State Univ" from the drop down list
- Under the prompt "Current SVSU Students, Faculty & Staff" enter your SVSU username and password. Ignore the optional login for name and barcode.
- Click on "Submit"
- Sometimes but rarely you may need to select a specific library and/or a specific volume or part.
- The following screen will indicate whether the request was successful.
Getting the book to you
- You will be notified by email to your SVSU account when the book has been received.
- Check out the books at the Library 1st floor Circulation Desk
- Please keep the book band on the book at all times especially when returning the book.
Renewing the book
- NOTE: books must be renewed *before* the due date
- Go to "My Library Account" and login using your SVSU username and password. Do not use the name and barcode option
- Click on the link "Items currently checked out"
- Click on box in Renew column and click on "Renew Selected" button
To cancel a MeLCat request
- Go to "My Library Account"
- Check the box in the "Cancel" column
- Click on "Update List" button
- NOTE: this will work only for requests with a status of "MeL Requested." Once a book is in process with a lending library cancelations are no longer possible.
Returning the book
- Return the book to the Library 1st floor Circulation Desk the same as any SVSU-owned book.
- Overdue books that are required texts for an SVSU course will be billed immediately at the higher of the replacement cost of the book or the cost of the book from the SVSU bookstore.